Friday, October 10, 2008

Musical Elitism

So I realized the other day that I've become an elitist indie bastard. Then I started wondering exactly why I've become to hate mainstream music so much. The following is a hypothetical rationalization of the origin of this hate.

  • 1. A band is popular in mainstream culture.
  • 2. Some people who subscribe to this mainstream culture may not have the best judgment or taste.
  • 3. Mainstream people are idiots.
  • 4. Idiots listen to this band.
  • 5. I don't want to be associated with idiots.
  • 6. I hate this band.


Alternative 1:


  • 1. A band is popular in mainstream culture.
  • 2. Some people who subscribe to this mainstream culture may not have the best judgment or taste.
  • 3. Mainstream people are idiots.
  • 4. Idiots listen to this band.
  • 5. Therefore, this band is horrible.
  • 6. I hate this band.

Alternative 2:


  • 1. A band is popular in mainstream culture.
  • 2. Some parts of mainstream culture purely rely on marketing to achieve appeal, and thus profit, and lack substance.
  • 3. Mainstream culture has no substance.
  • 4. This band has no substance.
  • 5. I hate this band.



Fin.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I completely agree.